Lawrence County is formed from Beaver and Mercer County March 20.
First Court of Common Pleas held in First Methodist Church on South Jefferson Street, New Castle.
Many communities formed militias. The Lawrence Guards was the first military drill unit formed in New Castle. It was organized in July 1850 by Major W.W. Taylor. This picture was taken by John Mitchell at McGuffin’s Corner. Judge L.L. McGuffin is standing in the doorway.
Lawrence County Court House completed at a cost of $32,000.
Westminster College founded in New Wilmington.
First McConnell’s Mill built.
Wil-Roy furnace built in Slippery Rock Township.
Bank of New Castle established.
Population of County 20,000.
1860 (September 8)
The Eagle, a new boat on the New Castle Packet line, prepares to leave one of its scheduled stops. Packets, primarily used for passenger service, left the New Castle packet landing at 12 noon and 7:30 p.m., arriving at New Brighton at 7 p.m. and 4 p.m., timed to make connections with trains going east and west.
1861 – 1865
Villa Maria began by the Sisters of the Humility of Mary on William Merrin farm
President Abraham Lincoln assassinated
First limestone quarries opened for by Green, Marquis and Johnson.
Shenango Hall (later the Opera House then the Capital Theater) opens on South Mercer Street, New Castle.
Wampum Cement and Lime (Shinn Brothers) began operation.
Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone.
Water system established in New Castle.
Gospel hymn composer, Ira D. Sankey donates first YMCA to New Castle.
The Park Opera House on the Diamond (New Castle) opens
Bessemer Limestone and Cement started
First electric plant in New Castle.
First street car service in New Castle.
Elliott Brothers Steel Company established. One of first strip steel mills.
Ellwood City is created. Ellwood City became a booming industrial town within a short period of time.
McKinley Tariff act passed
Greer Tin Mill opens
Fazzoni Fireworks begins operations
First seamless steel tubes in America pierced at Ellwood Weldless Tube
Nancy’s Island opened in Pulaski
Frank Jongrass hanged at Lawrence County Court house for murdering his fiancée.
Cascade Park opens in New Castle.
Cascade Park was once the entertainment center of Western Pennsylvania. Once a popular picnic spot known as Big Run Falls. It was developed into a trolley park in 1897 by the New Castle Traction Company. Designed by leading landscape architect, Frank Blaisdell, the buildings and amusements enhanced the natural beauty of the setting.
Company B 16th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, marched down Court House Hill as they departed for war.
New Castle treasurer, John Blevins, found murdered in his office at city hall.