A Respect for the Past. A Cornerstone for the Future. Chartered 1938.

A Palatial Residence

By Betty Hoover DiRisio, LCHS Volunteer In October 1898, Edwin Ohl's (1850-1922) palatial residence at 208 East Lincoln Avenue, New Castle, was being constructed, a model of elegance and beauty. Completed…

Continue Reading
Birchlawn
James Andrew and Eliza Emery Crawford. Their house was named Birchlawn.

Birchlawn

By Betty Hoover DiRisio, LCHS Volunteer Located on Harbor Street in New Castle, this home was known as "Birchlawn" (see photo). It was built for industrialist James Andrew Crawford and…

Continue Reading

Henderson Meehan Home

By Betty Hoover DiRisio, LCHS Volunteer This home sits at the corner of Highland and Lincoln Avenues across from the Scottish Rite Cathedral. It was constructed in 1895 for Matthias…

Continue Reading
Another Kurtz Mansion?
ET and Ella Frampton Kurtz

Another Kurtz Mansion?

By LCHS volunteers Betty Hoover DiRisio & Kathleen A. Mooney The Georgian style home, owned by Davis B. and Julia Kurtz, was located on the corner of Croton and East…

Continue Reading