The people in Lawrence County in 1849 were probably more religious than today, but less churched. Church membership was a serious decision, so it is not surprising that while attendance at services was high, membership was low.
The earliest churches were Presbyterians and Lutherans. Followed by the Methodists, Baptists Episcopalians, and Deciples of Christ. The influx of Irish during the Canal period brought the Catholic Church to the area, and it continued to grow with the influx of Southern Europeans and Slovaks during the tin mill era.