Currently browsing tag

Historical Houses

Interesting Discoveries in Oak Park Cemetery

Join us October 12 @ 7 pm as Ed Petrus discusses his discoveries in the Oak Park Cemetery The caretaker’s house at Oak Park Cemetery had fallen into disrepair and the cemetery board had plans to demolish it. Instead, local residents, Ed & Lorraine Petrus purchased it and from 2011 to 2013 worked …

Johnson Turner House 1890s

Home to a Prince (Johnson-Turner House)

By Susan Linville, Administrator LCHS Article corrected and revised April 18, 2016. The structure, referred to as the Johnson-Turner House was not built for nor owned by George W. Johnson as earlier reported. The Johnson-Turner House is a Victorian built in approximately 1888. Its appearance, although hidden by additions, exhibits typical …

View of Grist Mill 2004 Renovation

First Grist Mill in Hickory Township

By: Betty Hoover DiRisio, LCHS Volunteer The first grist mill in Hickory Township was built by Henry Reynolds on Hettenbaugh Run, a mile east of the village of Eastbrook. According to the 1877 History of Lawrence County “[Reynolds] … operated it till 1837, when he sold out to William Adams …

photo of Edwin Ohl Residence

A Palatial Residence

By Betty Hoover DiRisio, LCHS Volunteer In October 1898, Edwin Ohl’s (1850-1922) palatial residence at 208 East Lincoln Avenue, New Castle, was being constructed, a model of elegance and beauty. Completed in 1899 it was one of the finest residences in New Castle. Constructed of red pressed brick this Queen Anne …

color photo of Raney-Jameson Castle

Castle on the Hill

By Betty Hoover DiRisio, LCHS Volunteer Who hasn’t seen this “castle” high on the hill on North Jefferson St. in New Castle? The stone structure was built in 1890 for businessman, Leander Raney. Both the castle and Lee Raney hold prominent places in Lawrence County’s History. Raney was the only …

photo of Rose Point Academy

Rose Point Academy

By Betty Hoover DiRisio (LCHS Volunteer) Rose Point Academy Association was incorporated on October 20, 1891 as a nonsectarian, advanced education institution. Its stated purpose was the “promotion of Christian and liberal education and the cultivation of the various branches of science, polite literature, and the fine arts.” Many students …